The Slovenian Australian Academic Association (SAAA) is co-financing learning of Slovene language to interested SAAA members living in Australia or New Zealand. We wish to further cooperate with Slovenia in the academic, research, study, business, cultural and / or sports fields, therefore contributing to the exchange of knowledge between Slovenia and Australia and New Zealand. It is worthwhile mentioning that among the SAAA members there are several members who are the second or even third generation of Slovenes in Australia or New Zealand, with a strong interest in learning the Slovene language and its culture.
With the support of the Government Office for Slovenians Abroad, SAAA will co-finance the participation of four members of the SAAA in a 60-hour online Slovene language course learning, organized by the Queensland Association for the Slovene Language and Culture (SLCA). The online courses will take place in the time zone of the Australian state of Queensland, which is especially suitable for candidates from these parts of the world. The course will take place online in late 2022 (TBC). More details about the schedule will be discussed with the candidates. No prerequisite knowledge of the Slovenian Language is required for this course.
- First criterion: SAAA Membership (apply here).
- Second criterion: Preference will be given to candidates who can describe that they are descendants of Slovenes, regardless of how much they are included in the Slovene community in Australia or New Zealand. We would like to encourage the application of candidates who, for whatever reason, have not participated in the Slovenian community so far (e.g. have not been active in any of the associations).
- Third criterion: Preference will further be given to candidates who wish to continue their career path with Slovenia in the academic, research, study, business, cultural and / or sports fields, and thus contribute to the exchange of knowledge between Slovenia and Australia and New Zealand. Evidence of past career / school / extracurricular achievements is particularly desirable. Evidence demonstrating the purpose of cooperation with Slovenia is also desirable.
The call is ALSO open to candidates who are NOT descendants of Slovenes but live in Australia or New Zealand and are interested in learning the Slovene language and learning about Slovene culture. The call is open to all adult (18 years and older) candidates, but priority will be given to younger prospective candidates at the beginning of their career path.
Applicants will send their application to email@example.com by 31 October 2022, 23.59pm AEST.
This application will contain:
- The applicant’s CV
- The applicant’s motivation letter, where applicants will have to describe what Slovenia means to them, why they want to get to know it better, why they want more contact with the Slovenian language, how they will use the new knowledge acquired in Slovenia and how they will contribute to the exchange of knowledge between Slovenia, Australia and New Zealand by improving their knowledge of the Slovene language.
A special commission consisting of members of the SAAA board of directors and of the Slovenian Language and Culture Association Queensland (SLCA) will announce a maximum of four winners by 14 November 2022.
The winners will be required:
- To apply for a Slovene language course organized by SLCA; the SAAA will cover the costs up to the amount approved by the Office.
- Each winner will be asked to publish a short essay in English (500 words) about the schooling experience and a short essay in Slovene (500 words) based on their selected topic. The essays are to be published in a modified form on the SAAA website within one month after the end of schooling and included in the annual report of the association.
- To be available for any potential media engagement (e.g. radio interview).
Contact: Dr Jurij Karlovsek, firstname.lastname@example.org
Photo by Brooke Cagle on Unsplash