The Slovenian Australian Academic Association is inviting you to attend a one day conference about Australia’s international collaborations at RMIT University’s EU Centre in Melbourne. Montroix Pty Ltd has assisted in developing this conference. The SAAA will be presented during the afternoon workshop session.
RMIT Futures Conference 2017: Research Requires Collaboration
Monday, 4 September 2017, Melbourne
Australia’s future in a competitive world depends on effective collaborative approaches – do we have the means for that? This conference, hosted by RMIT University’s EU Centre, will bring together policymakers, leaders in regional and Australian business, academics and entrepreneurs for a frank debate about the prerequisites to sustain quality research and innovation in Australia.
WHEN: 4th September 2017, 9:00am – 4:30pm
WHERE: Conference Rooms Storey Hall, RMIT Building 16, level 7
- 9:00am Welcome – Bruce Wilson, Director of RMIT EU Centre
Session 1: What is needed for international collaboration?
- 9.05am Dr Ziggy Switkowski AO, Chancellor of RMIT University, Chair of NBN Co Business, Innovation and Science – immutable prerequisites for Global Competitiveness
- 9:30am Professor Ian Chubb AC, former Chief Scientist of Australia, Australia’s Science: Engagement in the Global context
- 10:00am Mr Ken Sloan, DVC-Enterprise of Monash University, Institutional Strategies for International Collaboration
10:30am – Morning tea
Session 2: How do we collaborate?
- 11:00am Patricia Kelly PSM, Director General of IP Australia, Australian universities’ International Collaboration viewed through IP rights
- 11:30am Professor Peta Ashworth, Chair in Sustainable Energy Futures at the, Ways Europe benefits from International Collaboration
- 12:00pm Dr Imran Ahmad, Director of Future Earth Australia, Global networks for Global Sustainability
12:45pm – Lunch
Session 3: Horizon 2020 and other European collaborative research programs
2:00-4:30pm This afternoon workshop will include presentations and discussions about funding programs, as well as engagement strategies, and success stories. Presenters include:
- Drs Martin Grabert & Rado Faletic, Montroix Pty Ltd
- Christel Nolte & Tim Edwards, Australian Government Department of Industry, Innovation and Science
- Mr Jonas Rupp, Delegation of the European Union to Australia
- Professor Shyamali Dharmage, Melbourne School of Population and Global Health, University of Melbourne
- Dr Phil Hodgson, Cilax Limited
- Dr Kaja Antlej, School of Engineering, Deakin University and President of the Slovenian Australian Academic Association
- Dr Aravinda Rao, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, University of Melbourne
- Dr Matt Wenham, Australian Academy of Technology and Engineering